Everyone who sells a home wants two things, to sell fast and to sell for the most money they can. Nobody wants their home lagging on the market for months or having to deal with constant price reductions just to get a deal done. So assuming you have the budget here area a handful of ways to get your home sold faster and for more money in today’s real estate market.
- It Starts Up Front – the first thing people see when they come to your house is the front of your house so work the curb appeal to make it as pleasing as possible. Make sure the front landscaping is well done, make sure any walkways look clean and new, if you have a front porch or patio decorate it to make a a “living space” so buyers can see themselves relaxing there, clean the windows, paint the front door, upgrade the door hardware and freshen the exterior paint if necessary.
- Paint Goes a Long Way – fresh interior paint in a neutral color can go along away towards selling a home. The one thing I hear most often when a house is freshly painted is it looks and feels CLEAN and who doesn’t want to buy a clean home.
- Kitchen Makeover – Kitchens are one of the top rooms that sells a home, so update your kitchen if necessary. Depending on your budget this can range from updating the cabinet hardware and painting the cabinets to a full kitchen remodel and anything in between. The things people want in a kitchen today are granite or solid surface countertops, larger high quality cabinets, stainless steel sinks and appliances and quality faucets with the ability to add water filters.
- Master Bath redo – the other room that sells a home is the master bathroom. Again this upgrade can range from freshening up with paint and hardware to a complete remodel depending on your budget. In today’s market people want a separate water closet, a separate stand up shower and soaking tub, duel vanities and sinks, framed mirrors and clean modern lighting.
- De-clutter – for years realtors always said to depersonalize a home before putting it on the market, but what is really important is de-cluttering. You can leave the family pictures up but if you have three couches in your living room you might want to get rid of one or two of them. Think of your goal as showing potential buyers what it would be like for them to live there and try to make your home look as spacious as possible by eliminating space consuming items.
**** BONUS TIP FROM OUR MARKETING DEPARTMENT****
Make sure the house is shown in the right light – pictures should be taken with a wide angle lens (standard lenses simply cannot capture a full room and make the home look smaller than it is), pictures should be taken in the right light (afternoon is generally the best) pictures need to be properly edited (pictures are nothing but a moment in time and that moment usually needs to be cleaned up to show the home in the best light), and pictures need to be taken at then best angles. Video tours are also essential in today’s tech dependent times. The video tour should walk the potential buyers through the home and include written descriptions so they know what they are seeing. Remember movies means moving pictures so make sure in the videos something is moving (either the scene or the camera) and shoot the videos from the right angle with the right tools to make sure your peaking the buyer’s interest.
If you have any questions on selling your home feel free to contact me today.
Get the latest Dana Point Real Estate report here
Get the latest Orange County Real Estate report here