While there can be any number of reason why your Orange County real estate fails to sell here are the top five reasons I have seen be the most often reasons over the past 15 years.
1) Pricing it to high – Overpricing your Orange County home in the belief that you can reduce the price back later is a strategy that can backfire and when it does it tends to backfire badly. For example, by the time you reduce your price, you may miss out on a surge of interest in properties like yours (and your home in particular). Additionally lowered prices can make buyers think there’s may be something wrong with the property that kept other buyers away. So to keep from selling your property at below market value and from wasting valuable time, don’t fall into the overpricing trap. Everyone wants top dollar for their home, and as a professional realtor I want to get you top dollar but we just need to remember there is a difference between top dollar that sets a neighborhood record and a ridiculous starting price we know is heading south.
2) For Sale by Owner – An experienced Realtor can save you time, money, and lower your liability. In addition to local market knowledge, you need to choose the Realtor with the best marketing plan and who will continually work to make sure as many qualified buyers get to see your house as possible. Doing the job well requires a lot of training and experience and a full time commitment none of which someone selling their home by themselves has available.
3) Not having the home inspected before putting it on the market – as the homeowner you live in the home every day and most of the little “quirks” go unnoticed. Having a home inspection done prior to listing it and having all those little things fixed will give the buyers a good impression of how well you maintained your home and it will save you both time and money when it comes time for the buyer’s repair request.
4) Limited or bad photo’s or no virtual tour – 90% of the Buyers start their search online from their tablets & smart phones. Like you and me buyers are very busy and have packed schedules so they will often just quickly dismiss homes that have poor or limited pictures and no virtual tour because those homes make a bad first impression with them. The adage still holds true that a picture is worth a 1000 words what story does your pictures and virtual tours tell?
5) No Curb Appeal – When selling your house, make the best first impression you can with your curb appeal. If your home looks dull and worn and needs painting have it painted also check out all windows and screens and any other exterior items. Landscaping, shrubs, flowerbeds and even your front door will help create this first impression. You want to give the “buy me” look before potential buyers even enter your house. The best way to determine the curb appeal of your home is to drive up to it like you were a buyer and see if it would draw you in or not. If not it’s time to spruce it up.
Obviously there are a number of reasons why a home may not sell but these are the most common ones I have come across in the past fifteen years. If you are thinking about selling your home feel free to contact me and I will gladly go over your options including giving you insider tips on how to maximize your sales price while minimizing your days on the market.
949 599 6860